Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Runner's Ode to a Tree

One cannot always explain what makes something their favorite.  It just is. While I have more than one favorite aspect of my various running routes, one which strikes me the most is my favorite tree along my usual weekend running route. 
An old wise tree with Whimsy
Taken one frosty January 2014 morning
There is just something about this tree that strikes me. I never tire of seeing it, and in fact enjoy seeing it in it's various phases throughout the year.  And so I imagine that if this lovely tree could talk, it would offer the following to all who pass by:


Dear Friend,
Stand Tall and Proud
Sink your roots deeply into the Earth
Reflect the light of a greater source
Think long term
Go out on a limb
Remember your place among all living beings
Embrace with joy the changing seasons
For each yields its own abundance
The Energy and Birth of Spring
A beautiful Spring evening surrounds this whimsical tree
Photo taken March 19, 2014

The Growth and Contentment of Summer
The Wisdom to let go of leaves in the Fall
The Rest and Quiet Renewal of Winter
Feel the wind and the sun
And delight in their presence
Look up at the moon that shines down upon you
And the mystery of the stars at night.
Seek nourishment from the good things in life
Simple pleasures
Earth, fresh air, light
Be content with your natural beauty
Drink plenty of water
Let your limbs sway and dance in the breezes
Be flexible
Remember your roots
Enjoy the view!

~Poem by By Ilan Shamir ("Advice from a Tree")

And so I shall take this advice and reflect up on it each time I run by this wise looking tree, which for a reason I cannot quite explain strikes me with wonder and awe each time I pass by. 
Sun beams, clouds and spring grass surround this old wise tree.
Photo taken March 29, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment